Re: Linux filesystem tests

Uros,

John is right.  Until very recently, the only tests released as part of
the ltp have been fs tests.  These were released for the XFS project.
We released those a little bit early, but now we're getting going on the
project as a whole.  Last week we released eight new tests.  These new
tests are very simple tests and on their own are rather trivial in
comparison to the task of testing the linux kernel.  This is, however,
why we started this project -- to make sure the testing of Linux is not
trivial.

Those new tests were released for two reasons: 1) spark interest in the
project and 2) allow some simple tests to illustrate a bit of SGI's
philosophy on kernel testing.  This of course brings us to a much bigger
topic, kernel testing in general and how its done.

In regard to running the tests and the command lines for them, this
depends on the specific test program.  Doio and iogen are a tag team and
rwtest is a wrapper around them.  The number of useful command lines for
these commands is rather large.

This brings us to the issue of organizing the running of the tests.
This is a large problem and as more tests are added to the Linux Test
Project, the problem will grow.  We have solutions and we hope to be
able to contribute to this area.

First, we'd like to get more backing and participitation from the
community.  I invite you to join and contribute to our project.
Likewise, any other TurboLinux insiders you think might be interested,
send them our way.

--aaron

--
Aaron Laffin
Silicon Graphics, Inc. OS Test Development