Re: Draft of announcement to linux-kernel

Nathan Straz wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 11:35:43AM -0500, Aaron Laffin wrote:
> > Nathan Straz wrote:
> > >
> > > Subject: [ANNC] Linux Test Project
> > >
> > > SGI would like to announce the Linux Test Project.  The goal of this
> > > project is to create a formal automated test suite for the Linux
> > > kernel.
> >
> > I think we need to be careful in our wording here.  I think something
> > more along the lines of "...is to create a formal testing project for
> > the linux kernel."  I want to be sure that we don't constrain the goals
> > of the project to what our group has in mind.  I'd rather hash it out as
>
> Our goal isn't to create the project.  We ARE creating the project.
> Keeping the project alive is an implicit goal.  Maybe ".. a formalized
> testing system .." would be generic enough.  We can always expand our
> goals once we get closer to them.

Ok, I like that wording.  In regard to goals, I think that is what I was
getting at.  We want automated regression testing, but we don't want to
constrain our goals to that point yet.

> > part of the project.  We als want to be sure that we don't in any way
> > imply that we want to be a required rubber stamp or something along that
> > line for Linus to release a kernel.  I think for now, within x hours of
>
> What part do you think implied that we wanted to be a required part of
> the kernel process?  I'm trying to position the project as an extension
> of peer review rather than as a core part of the kernel process.  I'll
> let Linus decide if it becomes a "rubber stamp."

Ok, I guess I was reading too much into the language you used.  The new
generic language eliminates any implicaiton I thought there was.

--
Aaron Laffin
Silicon Graphics, Inc. OS Test Development