Re: Howdy LTP folks..

Jason T. Collins wrote:
> I'm Jason, a software engineer at VA Linux Systems and lead programmer for
> the VA-CTCS project.  VA-CTCS has recently assimilated your (well done)
> code, and I would like to invite you to continue development with me under
> the VA-CTCS project on SourceForge.  VA-CTCS is our answer to what tests
> are out there for Linux.  :)

Jason, thank you for taking a look at our stuff and the complement.  I
can't say that we will or will not continue development under VA-CTCS.
We are still discussing what kind of framework will work best for LTP
and kernel testing.  I think the focus of our testing projects aren't
quite the same.  You seem to be focusing more directly at hardware
testing and shakedown. LTP is more interested in testing the stability
of kernel interfaces and functionality.  Sucking in LTP might not
fulfill your goals.

> VA-CTCS is the VA Cerberus Test Control System, which is a programmable
> test harness, a collection of test modules, and a test generator.  We seem
> to use compatible rules for creating tests, so I think why not merge our
> projects, gaining a wider audience for both?  Currently the test generator

I don't think that gaining a wider audience is a good reason to merge
two projects.  We may have some overlap like LTP and LSB has some
overlap, but we still have a different focus.  I think LTP and VA-CTCS
have lots of room to grow.  If we find that the people tend to run LTP
and VA-CTCS and would like to run them as one, we should start analyzing
what it takes to merge the two projects together.

> creates tests designed more for long term run-in diagnostics, TTF, etc,
> but since it is programmable, there's no reason to avoid adding more
> regression testing support.  Please check out
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/va-ctcs for access to our latest software.

I took a look at how you integrated LTP.  There is a lot of
functionality in LTP that your system doesn't currently take advantage
of.  Try running any of the tests in tests/ with the -Help option.  Also
check out the tests in the doio/ directory.  There are a lot of ways
that these tests can be run.  Running them in order with default options
tests very little.  A failure in one test case doesn't necessarily mean
the suite fails.  We haven't even decided which tests will make up a
regression suite.  Also some tests require root access while most of
them shouldn't be run as root.  I realize that you probably just added
the files and a quick wrapper to get them working, but there is a lot
more there.

--
Nate Straz                                              nstraz@sgi.com
sgi, inc                                           http://www.sgi.com/