[LTP] Re: TET

Hi John,

I hope we can work togther to improve the quality of Linux through our
testing work.  That aside, I need some help determining if TET can fit
into an open source project such as LTP or even the Linux Project
itself.  It appears to me that TET is not open source [1] and is not
free software [2].  Correct me if I'm wrong [3].

Taking off my corporate hat and putting on my open source advocate hat,
I seriously question building open source software around non-open
source software.  If we build our testware around TET, no matter how
"standard" or functionally excellent TET is, our testware will always be
at the mercy of the functionality and availability of TET.  As a long
time open source advocate, I believe that building our project around
TET would set us up for failure.

One of the things that I'm really interested in is making the tests and
testware easy enough to use and run that developers, Linux kernel
developers, might run our tests on their modifications before submitting
patches.  I think using non-redistributable software (TET) would put a
serious kink in that possibility and many others.

Thoughts, please,
--aaron

[1] http://www.opensource.org/osd.html
[2] http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
[3] http://tetworks.opengroup.org/LICENSE

--
Aaron Laffin
Silicon Graphics, Inc. OS Test Development