Re: [LTP] Why not use -Wall?

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 07:34:18PM +0100, Urban Widmark wrote:
> Any reason why the makefiles do not use -Wall?

Nope.  I use the option sometimes.  Including it in the tarball doesn't
make much difference to me.

> There are a lot of warnings when it is enabled. If that was the reason for
> not adding it, here is a patch vs recent CVS tree to clean things up
> (well, I've tried to clean things up).

Wow, there's a lot of stuff in that patch.  I'll take some time to
review the changes.  At first glance it looks good, but I have to sit
with the compiler for a while to be sure.

> Remaining annoyances are:
>
> ../lib/libltp.a(tst_tmpdir.o): In function `tst_tmpdir':
> tst_tmpdir.o(.text+0x57): the use of `tempnam' is dangerous, better
> use `mkstemp'

That's a new one for glibc 2.2. I've been meaning to read up on the
differences since we depend on that function quite a bit.

> "scan.l", line 236: warning, dangerous trailing context
> (lex being unhappy about something)

This has been bothering me for a while.  I've been meaning to rewrite
the lex part but I haven't had the time.  Since it works at the moment,
I haven't had the pressing need.

Thanks for the patch.
--
Nate Straz                                              nstraz@sgi.com